So, you are thinking about taking a class at BYC|Yoga26
but don’t know what to expect? Here are a few pointers:
• Don’t be afraid of the heat. The heat is your friend, it helps relax your muscles so that you can reach deeper into your postures. It also increases circulation and oxygen flow to your muscles, aids the release of toxins, and promotes flexibility. Before I started practicing Bikram Yoga, I didn’t like to be hot either. Now, I’m very comfortable in the room, and tolerate heat much better.
• Make sure you stay hydrated. Remember, you’re working out in the heat. You will sweat, a lot, and need to replace those fluids. Bring a bottle of water into class with you. Take water breaks as needed. It is also a good idea to start hydrating the day before class if you can.
• Your goal as a newbie is to stay in the room for the whole class; that’s it. You will undoubtedly see some veteran Bikram yogis and yoginis who look like rock stars. Ignore them. Concentrate on yourself, and take your time. Take a break if you need to by sitting or lying on your mat. Just stay in the room, and receive the benefits. Stick with it and you will be a rock star too!
• Bikram Yoga is for beginners. All levels practice together, and do the same series of postures. The reason for this is simple: you are working on you and nothing else. Don’t worry about how flexible you are or aren’t, or how strong you are, or what kind of shape you’re in. Come in and work on you. Wherever you start your process is perfectly fine, we’ll help you progress.
• Come with an open mind. Be willing to explore and take some chances. Bikram Yoga is a comprehensive workout. With regular practice you will become stronger and more flexible. Your fitness, health and overall well-being will improve. Whether you’re a triathlete or a couch-potato, you can practice Bikram Yoga. Come in and see for yourself!
What you will need:
• an open mind and a willingness to explore and take chances (no prior experience necessary)
• yoga mat ($4 mat rental available – eco-friendly and skin safe: latex & pvc free!)
• bath size towel or larger ($2 rental fee – we have showers stocked with body wash, shampoo and conditioner)
• water (Smart Water/Vitamin Water/ VitaCoco-Coconut Water)
• The Yoga Room is our sanctuary. Set up your mat quietly and please, no talking in the room. Try to keep the hallway outside the yoga room quiet as well, like library voices.
• Arrive early. We need class to start on time so it can end on time. Always take your shoes off in the lobby/reception area and make sure you sign in (printing your first and last name) and check off anything you have purchased (mat, towel, water, etc.).
• Be courteous and patient with our desk staff. Sometimes it can get quite hectic at the front desk and they are really going as fast as they can.
• Everybody must be able to see themselves in the mirror. Never set up your mat directly in front of or behind someone’s mat.
• Don’t leave the room. But, if you must, always exit/enter the room between postures. The same goes for drinking water or getting a tissue.
• Please limit showers to 5 minutes.